Friday, September 24, 2010

The Surprise Is Out Of The Bag

The evening winds down - but not really.

Yes, it is the night of my son's big 18th birthday party and it has been a huge hit. Since things are sort of winding down, I can finally let the surprise out of the bag.

I rented a limo for the evening to take the guys around all by themselves and just have a jolly good time for a few hours. When it pulled up, the guys started spilling out of the house and just going crazy. You should have seen the look on my son's face. Priceless!

In fifth grade, my son won a limousine ride as part of the school sales raffle. That began his love of limos. When my dear friend got married, we got to ride once again in a limo. When I took my son and my mother to Alaska with me on a business trip, I rented a limo to take them on a tour of Anchorage one afternoon. Of course, I had to work. :-)

After the events of fifth grade, I've carried this idea around for his 18th if he still seemed fond of limos. They had an absolute blast and now all of the guys are pining for limo rides for their upcoming 18th's as well. I'm so sorry to all of the parents for planting the seed.

The evening has been so wonderful, full of frivolitry, laughter, and cameraderie...things we could use a little more often around here sometimes. Our bellies have all gotten quite the workout.

So now begins the sleepover - and this time it has to be a sleepover because my son and several of the guys will be leaving in the morning for an overnight backpacking trip with the youth group from church. Thank God my son will be out of school Monday for in-service.

So I actually think we might get a little bit of sleep tonight also. It will be a very satisfying sleep for me.

Now I can't say the same for my son and his friends. I don't think they'll mind too much though, do you?

1 comment:

Annalee Sweger said...

I could also imagine the look on your son's face as soon as he got out of the limo. It must have been quite a party. Will you be renting a limo again for his 21st?