Tuesday, February 22, 2011

One Down - 200 More To Go

Well I have completed one major step in pursuit of my new career path and aspirations.

I passed my written State Board exam this morning!

It's hard to believe that eight months ago I started cosmetology school and now have only one more month to go. Then I'll get scheduled for my practical examination in Topeka.

For now this is a huge hurdle to have surmounted. I feel such relief tonight!

To graduate from school I'll need 1,500 hours, however a student may apply to the State Board to take their written exam at 1,000 hours (with the school's permission, of course). After several weeks of waiting, last week I finally received acknowledgment that they were approving me to proceed.

Having passed with a 91% means that the moment I certify completion of 1,500 hours I can accept employment and start working in a salon prior to my practical exam. Sometimes the wait to get into an available testing date for the practical can take a month or two. This way I won't be hampered by more time without an income stream into my happy little home.

But it does add a little more pressure for that crazy practical because if for some strange reason I DON'T pass my practical I then lose my temporary license immediately, must cease employment, and spend more time and money to retake the exam.

It can be a little hairy I've heard.

That's okay. For now I'm celebrating this little moment in time. Then in a month's time I'll celebrate the big completion.

Just under 200 hours more to go - woo-hoo!

5 comments:

Gary said...

Congrats, Denise.

Gary said...

Big congrats! There was never a doubt and there are no doubts for the practical exam, either. I love my new color and cut and so does our daughter. We'll most likely be making an app't for her with you very soon! Hugs, Tonya

Abbie said...

Yea!!!! So proud of you Denise. Oh, by the way was there pun intended?

Abbie said...

Denise these two comments are from Pam. Abbie seems to have used my computer lately :o)

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Ok, now I will publish under my name.