Monday, March 17, 2008

And It Begins!

My first foray into blogging - I've always wanted to do something like this. My plan is to share the ups and downs of single-parenthood, perhaps offer financial advise, writing tips, basically share with you various interests of mine. You might even get lucky and see some of the writing I've been working on from time-to-time. I try my hand at a variety of genres, though horror and romance are not my cup of tea.

Just recently I've had three months away from the office and able to be home as a stay-at-home mom for the first time in my son's life. Let me tell you, I could get used to this. I've always hated it that baby sitters have had more time with my son than I have. Sorry to say it, but people who say you can have your cake and eat it too are nuts. When you work full-time outside the home something is going to suffer, and it's usually the kids.

I remember when my son was just a few months old, and I came to a realization. Now understand, I am a very anal person and rather a bit of a perfectionist. I like things put away in their proper place and the house spic-and-span. But when my son came into my life, I realized that I could either have an immaculate home or a happy son - but I could NOT have both. So I learned to look past the clutter, the toys everywhere, dirty dishes sitting in the sink for a few minutes (today, it is sometimes a few days - see, you can teach an old dog new tricks) and spend time with my son. Of course when he got into Legos, it sure hurt stepping on those things in the middle of the night and biting my lips until tasting blood to avoid waking the household (and perhaps my neighbors).

So today was my first official day back in the office, and of course, the first day of my son's spring break. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be able to take any days off this week.

4 comments:

S. E. Thomas said...

Hey, Denise. Thanks for stopping by my blog and welcome to blogging. I took a break for a while and now I'm trying to get back into it.

It seems we have some things in common! I used to be a single mom, too, and, of course, I love to write. I also have a passion for archaeology and history. My husband often tells me that what I read looks very boring, but then, he's a chemical engineer and I don't think trying to find out the mathematical equation of a vortex sounds very interesting, either.

You mentioned that you might put some of your writing on your blog--which is a great idea--I put an entire novella on mine; however, just keep in mind that anything you put on the internet is considered published material. In other words, if you want to have it published professionally, you have to divulge that it has already been available to the public. Just a tip.

So, how old is your son now?

* I deleted this and then reposted it after fixing a spelling error. Sorry!

Denise said...

Thanks, Susan! I'm not exactly sure yet how all this blogging works, but hopefully I'll get the hang of all the details and technicalities soon.

Several years ago, I almost joined an online critique group until I found out about the loss of first rights, so I quickly pulled out of that. Probably what I'll do is just put a few things here that I've entered into contests or maybe just excerpts that won't cause me too much angst. Writing for me is very cathartic, and the likelihood of ever getting published is so small that I mainly write for the joy it provides.

Thanks again for stopping by, and I look forward to catching more of your work.

S. E. Thomas said...

You're right that getting published is difficult, but I've learned that tenacity does pay off eventually. If you try smaller things, like articles--even for periodicals that pay nothing, you develop both skills and writing credits, which you can mention in your future queries. Attending a writing group or writing conferences is also a good way to learn more and meet people in the biz. If you don't have a writer's group in your area that you like, then you can start your own. That's what I did and I really look forward to going every other week.

Great talking with you! It's always nice to find someone with shared interests.

Denise said...

Oh yes, I also meet every other week with a local critique group and we have a ball - something I look forward to as well. Every year we have our annual writer's retreat over President's Day weekend and it is a real hoot.

What first intrigued you about archaeology? I have to admit, mine came about because of studying flood geology after seeing a movie about Noah's Ark waaaaaaay back in the 70's with Dr. Henry Morris. Then, of course, I love dinosaurs. Just call me a big kid!