Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Friendships - How Important Art Thou

Day three arrival home from the office. My son's best friend has come over, and they are busy in his man cave doing what typical fifteen year-olds do (don't ask me, they just call it "guy stuff"). I've been so thankful for their friendship since they met in the third grade. They're both good kids, and most importantly they understand each other (I'm clueless half the time about their humor), and he's become a valuable extension of our little family. Friends are so important to our overall well-being. I found that out the hard way.

In 1999, I lost my best friend of fifteen years. Death would have been easier. Our friendship reminded me of Anne in "Anne of Green Gables" when she called their friendship "bosom friends". That's what we had at one time. We met at church camp, went through college together, were maid-of-honor at each other's weddings, there for each other during divorce, childbirth, remarriage (for her) - you name it. We were closer than sisters and knew each others darkest secrets.

Something happened to her, and I'll never know exactly what it was. She betrayed me and left me holding an enormous debt for which I didn't have the money to pay. Miracle of miracles after holding the debt for several years, God brought about an amazing occurrance that allowed me to pay it off within three years. However, it was after the payment of this debt that I realized the true problem - my friendship was toast. She never expressed any remorse whatsoever, and I realized I had to hold a boundary against her to protect both myself and my son.

I also discovered that being without a true friend left me vulnerable to attack. My son and I struggled for several years as I learned to trust and live again. It is much harder to develop deep friendships when we reach middle-age. But God has been faithful and brought many wonderful new friends into my life over the last several years. I've also seen how He can use the most difficult moments in our lives to help others or just to soften us toward those who are hurting. II Corinthians 1:3-4 has been lived out in my life.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to
comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort
with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Therefore, my home is open to any and all of my son's friends at anytime. My new friends also know they can call, come by, or grab me at work or church at any time if they need me or just want to hang out. Friends help us live.

They also tell us when we have a booger hanging out of our nose.

4 comments:

Gary said...

You don't hold anything back, do you?

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Don't forget sister. I'm just a phone call or email away. You are a great blogger. Wish I had good writing skills. Oh, I commented back about the broccoli. Check out my blog.

Denise said...

Thanks, sis! I think you're doing a great job - and just remember, you are a better cook than I am too. :-)

daysease said...

hi. thank you for your message on my blog. it was nice to "meet" you. May God continue to grow His grace and understanding in you, and my He continue to heal you of past wounds. He is faithful to make beauty from our ashes... and by the way, OF COURSE you can say you like Jane Eyre. i do too, as well as Pride and Prejudice, and many others. feel free to be in touch any time... would love to get to know you. hang in there, and remember that you are Never alone and God is faithful to give us what we need for every day. the lessons we learn about trusting and surrendering in HIM are NEVER easy, but in God's planning are so valuable. be blessed!!!