Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Joy of Youth

With last night's festivities, I didn't get to bed until after midnight. The boys were still going strong with their pizza, chips, lots of caffeinated soda, and whatever else they could find as they scuttled about the kitchen. Their game system must have been on overload at that point, and I expected it to blow up at any instant. They'd conk out sometime during the morning hours, I figured. Make that almost afternoon TODAY!

During the night, I awoke momentarily and thought I smelled popcorn. I brushed it off, rolled over, and resumed my appointment with the sandman. When I left my bedroom this morning at 9:30, I was astonished to see the boys already awake (and yes, they'd made popcorn during the night). Oh, but no! My son informed me that they were just finishing their LOTR's marathon (the extended versions, of course) and hadn't yet slept. I smiled, remembering my teen years, and proceeded to cook them breakfast.

By the time the breakfast bell rang, two had crashed while the others were busy playing video games again. The only time my son gets any extended time with a game system is when he has company, and I lift a few house rules. I'm a stinker that way.

In order to enjoy a peaceful breakfast, I took mine into the office to read a few emails and let the boys continue their time together. Very soon the peace I'd left for spread throughout the entire house. It continues at this very moment. Never in my life did I think an entire group of teenaged boys could be so quiet nor fall asleep so quickly.

Ah - the joy of youth.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Denise, This reminds me of a sleepover I'd attended at my best friend's home as a "tween". The neighbor guys had found out it was going on and tried to crash our party. Apparently the only access to be obtained was the ability to look through the thinly curtained windows. You can imagine my embarrassment the morning after, as we walked around Jane's neighborhood, we're greeted by Richard Camacho and told, "Tonya, you look pretty cool in your underwear!" Several weeks after that, Jane invited me over to her house. We were in her room when her mom walked in. Surprised to see me, she commented, "My goodness, you're certainly a lot quieter at 2:00 in the afternoon than at 4:00 in the morning!" I'm also reminded of one of our daughter's first "sleepovers". Several girls from our church were invited to celebrate Kirstie's birthday. The next morning she proudly announced, "Last night we had an adventure! I gave the girls a tour of the crawl space! It would have lasted longer, but Katie (the pastor's kid, of course!) saw a spider, jumped and hit her head on a pipe." Gary then knew what had awakened him in the wee hours that morning. He'd dismissed it as air in the pipes--in reality, it was our airhead daughter giving a tour underneath the house! Enjoy, Denise--the adventure ends much too soon! -Tonya

strem said...

This reminds me of the oh-so-many sleepovers I attended...and what good memories! Wish we adults could still have as many as we used to have. Just wanted to say thanks for stumbling across my blog and for leaving a comment!