Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mental Health Day

Today I decided to take a mental health day.

My son is gone for a week to visit his father. He's become the traveling teenager lately.

So I find myself home with few chores needing accomplished. The house is pretty much in order and the laundry had to be completed before my son left. That gave me a Saturday all to myself just to relax.

I've taken full advantage of it.

Spent some time emailing and talking on the phone with friends - yes, some of those friends I've recently come back into contact with from my high school days. The day allowed for two workouts (hey, a girl's gotta try and stay somewhat in shape at my age), a smack of time playing a game on the computer, a little dose of reruns of Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel, and some wonderful hours of reading.

In my younger years, I could devour a book in a matter of hours and the massive books I could spend reading most of the day. Those times were always so nice and have been rather fleeting or nonexistent most of my adult life.

So today no job searching, no chores, no errands to run - just pure unadulterated relaxation.

We all could use a bit of that now and then. I'm learning how important it is to one's well-being and plan to take advantage of it a little this week before my son's return and the rush of back-to-school preparation.

Then it will be back to chaos for another school year. Then hopefully a direction for me too.

But I've enjoyed my summer off. :-)

No comments: