Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Banner Year

I'm so proud of my son! The men's choir at school (of which he was invited to be a part as a freshman) scored all 1's at regionals last Saturday, therefore they are going to state competition. This has truly been a banner year for him.

First the big trip, then regionals, and now state. He is feeling very good about life right now, and I couldn't be happier.

You know, I realized something over the weekend. I'm not just proud of my son for what he does, but I'm proud of him just for who he is. So many people used to tell me just to wait for the teenaged years because then it gets rough. But in his case, they've been wrong thus far.

He doesn't smoke, chew, or run with girls who do. He doesn't drink or curse. His friends are a great influence on him, but I've also noticed that my son has a deep inner strength in knowing what is right and what is wrong, knowing who he is and what he does and doesn't want to do. So far he's really listened to that. I wonder sometimes how much the difficulties we've faced have influenced his strength of character. It's a very interesting thought.

I've told so many people over the years how proud I am of my son but realized I wasn't doing a good job of telling him. So I told him this weekend how proud I was of the man he was becoming. Seems like he was happy to hear it.

These next few years will be an interesting ride, and I can't wait to see how they turn out for him.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Congrats to Tyler! And to you for the great job you're doing raising a contributing citizen and patriot! Please tell him I'm proud of him, too! -Tonya

Gary said...

Sorry about the "dopey" name--I was playing the other night and chose that as my nickname. After all, he IS the most beloved of the seven dwarfs. -Dopey Tonya

Gary said...

There's no better feeling than seeing one's kid do well. Congrats.