Saturday, April 12, 2008

Signs of Life

We drove up the turnpike today. I love to listen to music on a scenic drive and relive the memories it evokes. Today was no exception. The Flint Hills looked beautiful even in their brownness. Any moment now they will burst into color. Makes me dream of the day I can own my own piece of paradise.

My plan is to someday purchase a large tract of land. I've always loved the wide open spaces where it feels as if you can almost touch the sky if you can just reach the horizon and see a bit of heaven. The rush of wind on the hilltop is almost like being caressed by the hand of God. If you close your eyes you can almost smell Him in the approaching rain. I guess that's what I imagine heaven will be like.

Have you ever just stopped, really stopped and listened to the sounds of nature? Forget the rushing cars driving by, the clamor of voices, and the schedules - that's not what real life is all about anyway. Take a moment to just be still, surrounded by nothing but the wide expanse of creation. Listen to the sound of the rustling leaves in the trees. Smell the rich soil beneath your feet. Hear the lilting stream as it meanders homeward. If you listen long enough you might even hear the song creation plays each and every day.

Sometimes we need to stop, grab ahold of life for a moment, and realize the world will still be there when we get back. Take time for refreshment and just be still. Maybe then we'll hear the music of life.

Are you listening?

3 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Are things still brown up your way? Our grass is turning green and my spring bulbs are spent. My azellas are about to bloom.

Denise said...

Brag, brag, brag! :-)

There's some green popping up, but mostly brown still. We're supposed to get rain today and be warmer all next week, so it should explode with color very soon. Daffodils are out! I can hardly wait to start developing and planting my new gardens!

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.