Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Drinking Cats

My cats are spoiled.

Not only do they have a fancy, electric water bowl that refreshes the oxygen content, but I let them drink from my tub faucet. It didn't used to be that way. I'm a sucker for a cute, furry face, I suppose.

Every morning when I get up and open my bedroom door, both tear inside and leap into my bathtub. Then they cast me a curious stare until I go turn on the faucet. If I'm not fast enough they'll actually start to meow. It gets pretty loud from time-to-time.

Toby is the youngest. He's a real stinker. I've wondered in the few months that we've had him if cats can have ADHD. If so, I'm convinced Toby is a prime candidate in the critter category. Half the time he forgets that he's supposed to drink the water and ends up jumping on the side to play with the stream. Each time he sticks his paw in there, he'll stop and look at it as if the water is foreign to him. Then it will draw his attention again. He performs this action over and over. Gives me several minutes of pure entertainment.

Now Paws does what he's supposed to do and climbs in the tub to drink. Of course since Toby's sitting on the sidelines slapping the water above him, it gets sprinkled on Paws' head. Hey, maybe Toby thinks he's a priest or something, blessing his "flock". I'd love to know what's going through Paws' head when he gives Toby the glare.

When Toby gets tired of the stream antics (or I decide to try and conserve the water he isn't drinking) he'll jump up onto my counter and lay in one of the sinks. He fits perfectly in there. Of course that is NOT the most sanitary thing in the world, so I slide him out and set him back on the floor. He's yet to figure out that the sinks are off limits. Maybe he's just trying to get me to stop and hold him for a moment. Nah, probably that short attention span ADHD thing again.

I guess I can be glad for one thing though; at least they aren't slurping from the toilet bowl.

No comments: