Monday, April 21, 2008

A Whirlwind Wedding Weekend


We went to a wedding over the weekend. Eight hour drive. It was so worth it!

Even though the wedding was small, I couldn't help but go. I have eight nieces and nephews (and one great-niece!), and this was the first wedding of that next generation. She looked absolutely lovely.

Years ago I was the one everyone came to to assist with their weddings. At one time I also thought about opening my own wedding planning business. This time I was hog-tied into running the music and figuring out a complicated sound system. With time to spare the system was soon tamed, and the music played exactly where and when it was needed. I love conquering a challenge!

The mascara was running even before the ceremony. As my brother-in-law walked my niece down the aisle, there was scarcely a dry eye in the house. Both of them were already blubbering so it was only natural for the rest of us to join into the celebration.

The pastor reminded my new nephew-in-law that he was charged with making my niece feel like the queen of their household. He then had to quip, "Does that make me king?", sending the entire gathering into a fit of laughter. Even in the midst of a sober undertaking, humor was demonstrated. Laughter can be a real balm in the chaos of life, and I hope they are both able to maintain their ability to laugh when difficulties come.

Overall it was a whirlwind wedding weekend. How's that for an alliteration?

4 comments:

Gary said...

Congrats on your nephew-in-law. Everyone loves weddings (everyone who wears a dress, that is!).
-TLC

Denise said...

Tonya,
It was such a sweet affair - one of the more emotional weddings I've been to in a looooong time. It meant a great deal to everyone there (including the non-dress category).

Gary said...

Gordon would not approve of your alliteration.

Denise said...

Sounds like a personal problem to me, Gary.