Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hungarian Rhapsody

This past week I finished reading "The Great Escape" by Kati Marton. It's a true story set during World War II about nine Jews from Hungary who fled Europe to escape Hitler's reach. It is truly remarkable who these men were and how they impacted the world we now know. They were incredible photographers, artists, movie makers, scientists, mathematicians, and physicists. Had no idea so many great men who eventually made their mark in Britain and America were from that country.

How I wish I'd have known this information and read this book a few years sooner.

Several years ago, I had the pleasure of being seated at the Thanksgiving table across from the father of my sister's dear friend. They had a houseful that year at my sister's. She'd invited these friends to participate in sharing Thanksgiving with us.

My sister may have specifically situated me there, knowing my love of World War II history, and I enjoyed every moment of it. This gentleman was originally from Hungary and remembers the Nazi era well. He was a teenager at the time. Eventually he and his new wife fled Europe to Canada enroute to the United States.

I remember him talking about what Hungary was like growing up, how his wife and he were separated trying to get to the U.S. He spoke of how proud he was when they became American citizens. Even though he has spent the majority of his life as an American, he still had quite an accent. What a charming time I had speaking with him.

How I've wished since then I'd had more time to pick his brain. There were questions I didn't feel comfortable asking at the time, as one it was a holiday and two I didn't want to pry in private and personal territory. Mainly I just listened as he talked and went in directions he wished to share without peppering him with deeper questions.

Yes, I can be respectful when the time calls for it.

But after reading this book, there's so many things I'd ask him about now. Very little of World War II history even references Hungary. There are only a few references to the post-war uprising of Hungarians against the occupying Soviets. If only America had interceeded.

If only I had another chance to sit down with him and listen with a little knowledge of the Budapest cafe life, the compassion of the people, the beauty of her cities, the loveliness of the Danube.

The excitement of living there during the pre-Nazi days.

But then, this book wasn't even published at that time. Now it makes me wonder what else I have missed in my World War II studies.

Perhaps it's time to do a little more digging to find out.

No comments: