Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What To Do...What To Do

Figured I'd be done with my short story by the end of last week. Now it's Tuesday into the following week and still not at the finish line.

I keep coming up with extra fodder, but it's getting closer to the end. Nearly at 10,000 words at this point. Don't know if it will be done by the time we leave for my nephew's graduation on Friday though. Shoot!

Now the crazy thing is waaaaay too long for a short story and too short for a novella. I'm either going to have to cut the living tar out of it or will need to figure out more fodder to add.

Is this a weird situation to be in or what?

I'm afraid there's too much to make a good cut of such an extreme, so the best thing may be for me to add. Only problem is that I don't want it to "sound" like I've made up a bunch of scenes just to get to a specific word count. That never really rings true and the reader can usually tell where the added material is mere fluff to feed the fatted calf.

Maybe what I should do is finish to my planned end then send it out for critique to the group with the request to notate any additional scene ideas they foresee for this situation. That may be cheating but fresh thoughts and ideas may be the catalyst I need to fully flesh this puppy out to novella length.

And all I set out to do was write a short story - gee!

No comments: