Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Realization

I've had a realization in the last couple of days.

Ever since completing my first novel, I've been restless, irritable, and just plain stiff with everyone in my life. I've not wanted to be a friend, daughter, mother, or sister to anyone. That's really, REALLY odd for me. Practically my entire life I've been something to someone (a pain in the behind mostly, but hey, that's still something). I feel like I haven't known myself this past week!

Many people have been worried about me the last few years now that my son is nearing the end of childhood. He's been the entire focus of my life for almost sixteen years. But in three short years he will be graduating high school and moving on with living his own life. And you know what? I'm looking forward to it with a smile.

Not that I don't love my son - anyone who knows me understands that's a given. Years of sweat and tears have been poured over my son. He's a great kid, and no mother could possibly be more proud than I. But when he leaves the nest, that's when I'll know that my sacrifices have all been worthwhile.

Then I'm onto a new course. For the first time in my life, the opportunity to pursue a dream will be fresh on my list. No, it isn't just the book - there are many interests in my life that I want to have time to pursue. Those opportunities are just around the corner, waiting for me to climb on board and hold on for the ride.

I can hardly wait for the rush of exhilaration.

No comments: