Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Saw a commercial this evening about a lady sneaking health food into the movie theatre. Oh, it got me thinking of my college days.

Being poor college students, my best friend and I would go to the dollar movies on occasion for some sort of entertainment. Of course, that was when the dollar movies were actually a DOLLAR, and they made their money off of ridiculous prices for concessions. Once again, being poor college students, we made do with our own concessions.

At that time, I was in possession of the biggest silver lame purse you'd ever seen. It made for a perfect snack bin. Before heading off to the movie theatre, we would swing through McDonald's, Taco Bell, whatever fast food joint was on the way and garner some cheap food. Depending on how brave we were that evening, we'd either get sodas at the food joint or run to a convenience store and get bottled soda. Then it was off to the movies.

After we parked at the theatres, I would empty everything out of my purse and stuff it in the glove box. Then the food and sodas would take its place, topped off by my wallet. Hey, I still had to pay for my ticket. We even got an entire dozen Winchell's donuts and two bottles of milk into my purse one night. That was quite the feat indeed.

We never had a food or drink accident in my purse, but we did almost get caught one night. That was back when the ushers actually walked down the aisles during the movie looking for "contraband". But seriously, how easily can they see all the way across the aisle if you're holding their cup or a Micky D's cup. I mean seriously!

I'm no longer a poor college student and can afford to pay the ridiculous concessions prices. But I still know of a few people who continue to carry contraband into the theatres. You'll never get me to squeal.

2 comments:

Gary said...

I like the beer commercial where a guy and his date are apparently watching a chick flick. She's crying and he's looking disgusted. He sneaks a bottle of beer out of his coat and starts to drink but it slips out of his hand and rolls down the sloped floor to the front of the theater. His starts crying and she looks at him and realizes that he really IS a sensitive guy. I'm assuming he nailed her later than night.

Denise said...

GARY!