Monday, May 5, 2008

You Can Stop Now, Tonya

After midnight Monday morning - I'm finally done.

I feel about ready to cry. I've finally completed a major milestone in my life - a completed novel. This particular one carries a great deal of me in it even though it is actually fiction. I've poured my heart and soul into this piece of work and even done some soul searching and healing through it. There's a planned sequel, but at least book one is finally finished.

Well the first draft anyway. I'll get busy on revisions after letting it simmer for a month or two. Maybe even three.

I started it almost three years ago - June 8, 2005. Of course, it could have been done much earlier if I'd have stuck with it every stinking day. But life too must go on and be lived.

For now, I'm going to bed. Tonight will be sweet dreams indeed, that is if I can relax these knots in my neck.

Oh and Tonya, you can stop with the drumroll and go to bed yourself. You've been a great friend to stay up with me all weekend!

6 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

You're not done, you're only resting.

Wait 6 weeks before you even look at it. It gives the mind a chance to reset and forget what it wrote. I needed a couple months to fully look at mine in a new light.

Set back, have a beer, you've done something that a few people only dream of.

B

Denise said...

Thanks Brian! I plan to wait at least two months before going back to fill in holes and tackle revisions in the second draft. At least I've gotten this far, though you might hate me how this portion of the saga will end.

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Congrats Denise!!! Wow, what a feat! Can hardly wait for my hard-back copy at Christmas in the next year or two ;) Take a look at the pics on my blog to see what I've been up to. See you at Josh's graduation.

Denise said...

Thanks so much, Pam! But now the hard part really begins (at least after completion of the revision stage). Selling a novel is a whole different ballgame, but if I actually succeed in that venue, you'll get a signed copy. :-)

See you in a couple of weeks.

Gary said...

Congrats, Denise! I'm sooo proud of you! Are you a little bit sad? I think that's another reason I haven't finished "Self-Defense"--(sorry Bri)I was enjoying the journey so much I didn't want to reach the destination! But then, maybe that's just me. YOU DID IT!! Make sure you let the G-man know. No doubt, he'll be beaming! I know I am! Love ya', Tonya

Denise said...

Tonya, you're a champ to beat the drum for me! I think I was too relieved to actually have finished one to feel too sad - and no, the journey hasn't ended yet. I was sad, however, with what happens in the last chapter. Now you'll just have to wait. :-)