Friday, August 22, 2008

A Miracle


For as long as I can remember, my son and I have reserved Friday nights for pizza and a movie. Now that he's getting older, it doesn't happen EVERY Friday, but we still try and make it a priority.

Tonight we watched Miracle, the movie from several years ago that relived the miraculous gold medal winnings of the U.S. hockey team during the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. We've watched it so many times over the years, but it still gets my motor going and my blood pumping during that game between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Gosh, I can hardly sit still. I can hardly breathe.

And I already know how it ends!

I think the movie is even more amazing in that they took regular guys, hockey players, and made them into actors instead of the other way around. Kurt Russell as Coach Herb Brooks did an outstanding job, playing the real-life character so effortlessly. He should have in the least been nominated for an Oscar. Personally myself I think he should have been given an Oscar for that performance hands down.

I remember what it was like during that time - the fear of the Soviets, the fear of the Cold War, the economic malaise, the sense of hopelessness in America. This real-life event in our nation's history was the catalyst that turned people's hearts and minds around. Hope once again entered our lives. Dreams were lived out in front of us. We learned to believe in ourselves once again.

And we learned to believe again in miracles.

4 comments:

Sierra Leone Mission Trips said...

My husband and I just love this movie! We remember watching the events unfold as they happened. Amazing!

Denise said...

I will never forget that time either. My awareness of life was very much awakening in the years leading up to this event. It's become an inspiration to my son too.

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

We had movie night minus the pizza last night too. We watched Basket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It was good. I can't remember the last time I asked Angie if she had seen a movie that I had watched and she hadn't. Have you seen it? How was school this week? It was good on our end. Everyone seems happy with their schedules.

Denise said...

Oh I never did get to see Bucket List. That looked like an interesting movie. Did you guys rent or buy it? Bring it for Thanksgiving if you bought it. The T-meister seems to be enjoying his classes thus far. He already got into a scuffle with his geometry teacher because the teacher was wrong and Ty pointed out the correct answer. Teachers don't much like being proved wrong in front of the class. :-) I loved the pics of the kids' first day on your blog!