Monday, August 11, 2008

Pounding the Pavement

My best friend, Lori, is a professional percussianist. She teaches at two private schools, plays for the church, is in an area musicianship group, and is under contract for the local opera and music theatre companies. Let me tell you, that girl is busy. She can play tympani like nobody's business.

She also knows her drums.

Since I'm planning to get my son into drum lessons this fall, I'll need to buy a drum set. His birthday is next month, so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone and get him the drums as a birthday present.

Lori's agreed to take me around to the best stores and compare basic sets and prices. If anyone can get me a good set for a good deal, she can.

She's already warned me to stay away from pawn shops. Figured I might be able to get a good deal there, but she said many times they're even more expensive than buying something brand new. It's the sucker punch.

We've tentatively planned for this Saturday or the next. She's even offered to let me store it at her house until his birthday weekend. I want to at least TRY to keep it a surprise if at all possible. Then I can set it up in his man cave and make it off-limits for a day or two. Gee, the things I go through to try and keep secrets from the kid.

All I can say is, he'd better appreciate all I'm going to go through trying to get the crazy thing in the house and set up. My back hurts already.

And Lori lugs around tympani drums all by herself!

3 comments:

Sierra Leone Mission Trips said...

Hi there! I found your site through "god's girl."

Just what little I've read on your blog so far...we have some things in common. I love anything WWII. My dad was one of 5 sons and 2 sons-in-law that my grandmother had serving at practically the same time. Dad was wounded twice, none of the others were hurt. All came safely home. I'm certain grandma Grace prayed many a prayer and shed many tears.

And I just love the "Count of Monte Cristo!"

I'll visit you again soon...

Denise said...

Wow! The stories they could ALL tell (especially your grandmother too, I'll bet). It always boggled my mind how everyone just bent over when Hitler came sniffing around. Never understood that, which is one thing that led to my studying about it. There's so much to try to digest during that era. Truly was a War of the World. What's your favorite scene in Monte Cristo???

Sierra Leone Mission Trips said...

On the Count...I think my favorite part is at the end when he says something to the effect that everything that really matters is right there with him. It reminds me of something my daughter once said about bitterness and resentment. "It's like drinking poison yourself and expecting the other person to die!" So true...and the Count won the victory in more ways than one.

My dad is 83, and yes, he has many stories about the war, but most of the time he is talking about what his brothers did. He almost died when a sniper shot him. He tears up when it's even mentioned. He is a sweet man.