Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Music Fetish


I just love music - especially soundtracks from movies.

I've garnered a few favorite composers, such as Steve Jablonsky, Trevor Rabin, James Horner, James Newton Howard, etc. etc. etc. Of course, there's always my absolute favorite - Hans Zimmer. Many times I don't even have to go see the movie, just notice a soundtrack at the store by one of these composers and I buy it. There's only one time I can remember where I was slightly disappointed - but only slightly.

However, I didn't capture a soundtrack when I should have. At the time "Count of Monte Cristo" came out at theatres, I was in the midst of paying off a huge debt left me by my former best friend. That was a hard time. Though I fell in love with the music at the theatres (another friend insisted on paying my way), there was not a cent available to even consider what I thought of as a luxury purchase at the time. If only I'd known.

Apparently they didn't make that many copies of the Edward Shearmur's orchestral score when it was released. It's a very rare commodity now. Amazon has sellers that offer a mere handful, but they are extremely pricey. I can't fathom the idea of paying $70 to $100 for a tiny disc, but oh, how that music moves me when I watch the movie at home. I've debated plunking down the cash for many months now. Just can't bring myself to do it.

Though I'll probably kick myself in the fanny when these are all gone. Just need to figure out how to contort enough to do that.

I know - just need a little music is all to accomplish that.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

I love that movie. That's awful they didn't make very many of those. But you know what that means if you get a hold of one...... Hey, I have blogged twice in the last few days and have yet to hear from you. Wait til you see the friend in our front yard.

Denise said...

After a month, I quit checking every day.

Ewwww!