Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Battle Rages

I've been thinking about the possibility of going back to school. Only problem is that I'm not so sure what I'd take up as a major.

I could do the safe thing and take a one-night-a-week business management course, but in reality I could probably teach parts of it myself.

Then there's that old dream that I started waaaay back when I originally attended college - music.

Music has been my passion and soul for as long as I can remember. There's nothing that reaches me more deeply than music - well and my Lord. Even then I can feel so much closer to Him when listening to or singing glorious music. It's as if the heavens open up my soul and I can reach and see farther and greater than I could ever on my own.

Long ago I played the piano, flute, oboe for a time, and greatly desired to learn drums and guitar. Pretty much I was good at whatever I picked up.

Not trying to brag, just stating reality for me.

So I'm faced with the problem of what I'd do with such a degree. About the only thing available around here is teaching music and I definitely don't want to do that. Nothing against crumb-crunchers, but if I taught I'd want to do it at a more serious level. Plus teaching is a poorly paid industry. Hey, my son and I have to eat too.

Then a more serious level would require even more schooling or moving and I'm not in a position to do that right now.

So I'm back to the practical purposes, which bore me to tears. I might as well wait around for my industry to come back to life again if that be the case. I've done extremely well in this field, but it isn't where my heart truly lies. In the job search, I keep coming back to this time as being an opportunity to do something new. Just can't shake that monkey.

The practical side and the dreamer side are at war at the present time. I'll be sure and let you know the outcome of the battle before the war kills me.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

I know a good music school close to my house :o) OK, OK, I finally posted again. I will be praying for you that God gives you a definite direction. 2 words....Chesapeake and Devon. Just a thought. I know you would HATE living close to your big sister. I know you don't want to move and I wouldn't want to either if I was in your place.

Denise said...

And what do I know about working for an oil and gas firm? I could always learn, but I need to stay around here for a couple more years yet. Thanks for the pick-me-up!