Tuesday, June 30, 2009

T-2 Review


No, it's not Terminator 2 but Transformers 2 - Revenge of the Fallen.

We just got back from seeing the second installment of the Transformers franchise. My son begged me to wait until after his return from Europe to see it. Of course, it's always more fun with him in tow because he knows more about the Transformers characters and storyline than I do (like how they made Jetfire an SR-71 Blackbird instead of the space shuttle).

I've been hearing the panning of the movie, how it has no storyline and all action. Personally myself I saw a very clear storyline. No it isn't as good as the first one, but I liked how they utilized Major (was Captain) Lennox and his military crew in a secret alliance with the Autobots. The Nest was quite cool indeed. I've a feeling alot of the panning came from certain factors in the White House that made the current Administration appear on the negative side. Purely my own speculation.

The storyline about how Sam's mind now holds the secret originally contained in the Cube, mostly destroyed in the original movie, is really interesting, especially the part in his astronomy class when he says Einstein was wrong and showed up the professor. Really kinda funny in an almost creepy sort of way.

The thing I missed most from the first one was the personal relationship the humans had with the Autobots and vice versa. There also was no Glen for comic relief, only a wimpy and stupid kid this time who thinks he's some sort of computer god. Attempts at comic relief fell far short and devolved into crude and disgusting antics that were completely unnecessary (humping dogs and a mini-con that humps Mikaela's leg are only tips of the pyramid).

There were also a ton of Autobots and Decepticons thrown in without understanding who they were or why they were there. You must have to be a diehard Transformers fan to know who they were and what their purpose served (which, of course, my son is and knew exactly who everyone was). But don't let that stop you even if you don't have the entire franchise stored in your cerebral cortex like my son does.

Overall I enjoyed most of the movie more than I thought I might. A warning, however - this is not for kids and it bothers me that it is marketed as such. My son is sixteen, but I'd have NEVER taken him to see this one even just a few years ago simply because of the extreme nature of sensuality and the massive use of four-letter words. It wouldn't have detracted in any way shape or form to exclude most of this, and probably would have improved the overall effect of the show by exclusion of the aforementioned crudity.

But personal feelings aside, I still enjoyed this movie more than I expected. Our military is once again seen in a positive light, and I'm always supportive of that.

Now I just hope we don't have to go through the mess we did last time to get an actual SOUNDTRACK released of Steve Jablonsky's orchestration in a timely manner. Stay tuned!

No comments: