Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Muse is Calling

Now that I've had a little time to relax, I've happened upon another new storyline.

But first I have to finish my current novella.

Strange thing is that I keep coming up with some of the most bizarre storylines lately, sometimes feeling as if they could be ripped from the pages of today's headlines - but in a different sort of way.

Someday I might be able to explain it better.

Even though fantasy is my favorite genre, I seem to be hitting on some rather odd thriller type material and am just going to go with it. Dean Koontz talks on his website about how he wrote all sorts of genres and his publisher made him utilize a pseudonym for those published outside of his first few novels. Now he's so well versed that they have all been re-released under his own name.

One of the things most writing instructional material will tell you is to find a genre that works for you and stick with it. Others say to write what you know. Problem is that I have such an enormous variety of interests and experiences that I could write about all sorts of things.

Funny thing is I never much got into thriller material until recently. Now I find myself writing tons of it and leaving my fantasy works behind.

Someday I'll come back to those other genres, I'm sure. Right now I'm just going to go in the direction from which the muse is calling, regardless of where she leads.

All I can say to my critique group is - hang on for the ride!

No comments: