Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Big 4-0

Yo-ho-ho! It's the big 4-0 today.

I finally made it. I'm finally forty. I hit another milestone.

Originally when the new year flew around, I'd planned to have a rip-roaring birthday party to celebrate. Hey, I figure it's perfectly fine to plan ones birthday party. Can't wait around for someone else to do it. :-) I love any excuse to throw a party and invite friends and family.

However, after the layoff and unemployment continued it just didn't seem right to throw away several hundred dollars for a party. Figure that when the new job is obtained and the salary begins to perform again, I'll have a party to celebrate the milestone and the new job.

Priorities, you know. Can't set aside my practicality no matter how hard I try. It IS what has gotten me through some pretty tough spots in the past.

I've received tons of well-wishes on Facebook, phone calls, cards, and emails so I feel pretty recognized. For myself, I'm just wiling away the day reading and doing the lazy girl routine. Over the years, I've learned that having time to oneself can be just as fulfilling as spending time with loved ones.

I guess it comes down to learning to be content regardless of the circumstances or income.

No comments: