Monday, June 8, 2009

The Big Week

Well the big week for my son is here.

Lunchtime they had their orientation meeting at the university campus and then went straight into rehearsals until ten tonight. While standing in line to meet his tour staff member, my son got to talking with a couple of other guys and they decided to room together on the England leg of the trip. Guess he's not going to waste any time! I'm so proud of him.

There's so much to catch and remember from the orientation meeting that my head is about to spin. I can only imagine how my son is going to feel after tonight. Not only does he have a strict itinerary to follow the next few days, he's also got to memorize music, make friends, and get packed.

So I've started the packing process for him this afternoon. Luggage size is tight but I'm pretty good about getting quite a bit into small spaces. Not sure how he's going to do unpacking and then packing during the trip, but I'm sure he'll manage.

There'll be plenty of space in his carry-on for trinkets, souveniers, and mementos. He's under strict orders to save EVERYTHING, ticket stubs, programs, the works, in order to put together a memory book for him when he returns.

The next two days will be early mornings and late evenings as they prepare and memorize their music. Wednesday will be a special send-off concert. Thursday we'll head to Kansas City, then Friday morning he'll be on the plane bound for the adventure of a lifetime.

I wonder if I'll get much sleep the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure my son won't.

No comments: