Monday, October 13, 2008

Cattle Prods and Casting Calls

Oh boy - next week we're supposed to be off book for ongoing play rehearsals.

I'm not even near ready.

In years past, I was a very quick memorizer (is that a word?). I'd pick up on lines very quickly and even knew everyone else's lines too. This evening I did okay on my lines but it's the lead-in line that is still getting to me.

My brain just doesn't have the capacity it once had. And no, don't you dare say it is age talking. Seems to me it is being out of practice with learning how to memorize.

Why can't I get this? It's frustrating the living tar out of me that I haven't memorized the entire thing in just two weeks.

Am I expecting too much? Ya think?

Okay, I'm not the living, breathing, walking computer brain I once was, but there's still got to be a better way to get all of this in my head. How did I used to do this? I just cannot remember doing anything other than reading through a script over and over and then reading it out loud to myself.

One of the ladies this evening said she tapes herself reading the entire script with blank places where she's supposed to say her lines. Then she burns it on a CD and takes it with her everywhere she goes to play it over and over and over again. That way she gets away from the book and HAS to get her line in during the silent sections.

Maybe it's going to take doing something new like that. I don't know, but I'm getting a little stressed about being able to handle all of this. Deep breaths - shake it off.

It will come. It's just going to be a little slower than it used to be. It isn't like I'm going to be electrocuted with a cattle prod if I don't get my lines correct.

Hmmm, wouldn't put it past Ruth to try something drastic when you get right down to it.

2 comments:

Sierra Leone Mission Trips said...

Well hello Denise!

Thank you for your comment about my family. Yes, we are so blessed. You may have noticed the grandkids are multicultural. And 2 of our children are looking to adopt more. We just love it. We also have a Chinese niece and 3 nieces/nephews that are African American.

WOW! Your son is going to Europe. It will be an experience of a lifetime! And God will provide! HE just loves to please HIS children. We don't ask for nearly enough. A favorite verse of mine is Is 7:11..."make your petitions DEEP..."

We are going to be asking God to have deep pockets next year as additional mission opportunities have opened up for us. I can't wait to see how He provides!

Many blessings!

Denise said...

There's several families in my church who have adopted from China too. One family is currently trying to adopt another one. Their story is amazing.

Yes, my son is part of the Ambassadors for Music. Sounds like the best way to see and truly experience Europe - by meeting and interacting with the people!

7:11 from which book? The Psalms? I'm actually terrible with "addresses" unless it is deeply imbedded in my soul.