Monday, October 20, 2008

On The Hunt

For the last several weeks, my son has been putting in job applications around town. So far no takers. That's okay - I'm still proud of him anyway.

Initially when we talked about the concept of him getting a job he wasn't all that excited about the prospects. I think it was more fear than anything. But now that he's really considering what a job can do for him (and what the money can eventually buy) he's starting to get anxious to get something soon.

Sunday afternoon we went around and he dropped off four more applications at various fast food joints. Fast food jobs are usually the best kind of opportunities for first employment. There's several with "Now Hiring" out on their signs or in their windows. We thought he had a real chance at the job at Wendy's, but they really need someone who can close.

Sorry, not going to happen on a school night.

I'm also requiring him to keep Wednesday evenings open. We're hoping for Sundays open too, but if it comes right down to it I'll let him work Sundays as long as it is after 3:00. I will not allow a job to come before church and family lunch gathering. Other than that he's available any evening, pretty much all day Saturday - heck I'm even letting him consider closing on a Friday night. Figured Friday availability would be a good opener in this town, since so many are playing sports and unavailable then.

And yet several weeks in he's still searching. I told him that getting that first job was going to require some work, but that once he had something - anything really - on that resume then he had a better chance at getting a job that he'd like to have. He'd really like to work at Border's Bookstore.

I told him he needs to finish getting his hours in for driving before then. I'm not going to spend my evenings running too and fro. That's at least where I put my foot down. At least here in town he can walk or it is a quick jaunt for me in bad weather.

For now though he'll keep at it until he's exhausted all possibilities.

I guess then we'll just start all over. Heck, there's plenty of good jobs out there. Sometimes you've got to dig to find that diamond in the rough.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

It took Travis awhile to find his first job. In fact, a friend told him about it that worked there.

Denise said...

Really? I guess with all the places with "now hiring" posted that I expected him to at least have an interview at this stage. Problem is that none of his friends have jobs yet since he's the first to turn sixteen. He'll get there, I'm sure.