Thursday, October 30, 2008

Going To The Doctor

I'm trying to break back in gradually. Been a grueling week.

Don't know about you, but I sure do hate getting sick. Really gets in the way of living life. Plus when I miss work, I know I'm going to go back to a load waiting for me on my desk and less energy available to play catch-up. But I guess it could be worse.

I could be dead!

A good thing has happened in all of this. Went to the doctor yesterday morning. Now I've had the same doctor since my son was an infant. She knew me when I never got sick. She's seen how the last eight years or so I catch everything under the sun.

One thing I've always said - I do things either full-tilt or not at all. That's the way I do illnesses too, I guess.

Anyway, she has followed all the aspects of my health for the last several years. She's the one who originally sent me to see the endocrinologist back in 2000 and supported my decision to go see another one this year. She listens to me. She suggests things to me.

This week she asked if I would like to try a thyroid support hormone. I've told her all the research I've done. She knows I'm not a whiner or hypochondriac. My symptoms earlier this year after I went off the estrogen rang in her head a bit loudly too.

I have that effect on people.

I took the opportunity to tell her about how it affected my voice, how I'd accepted that I'd never have my voice back, but that it came back again for a little while after I went off of the estrogen. Now that I know it is still there but hidden somewhere between hormones, I want it back more than anything.

I thought I was going to jump up and sing (or more likely croak) the Hallelujah Chorus. Just picked up my temporary prescription this evening and will try the first one on for size tomorrow morning.

You'll be some of the first to know the results - but it may take a couple of weeks to show any effects. Stay tuned!

No comments: