Thursday, April 9, 2009

Brainstorming Bonanza

Today there's been alot of back and forth emails flying among choir parents about fundraising ideas for the big New York trip next year. Figure since I'm available at the moment that I can at least assist with the brainstorming.

If there's a noticeable benefit to being unemployed right now it's that I actually have time to participate in my son's school activities. Now he may not see it as so much of a benefit, but while I'm able I'll do everything I can.

That's one thing I'm really good at - brainstorming that is. When the synapses are all firing I can come up with idea after idea. Someone else may have to execute it, but that's what delegating is all about. I know my limits.

But it made me feel good to get a ton of pats on the back from parents at the good and numerous ideas I threw out for fundraising. Feels so good to be a part even if it is only briefly.

Our little town has an annual event each September centered on our history. Usually falls around my son's birthday. We could do a booth and see if Ottaway Amusements would allow us a percentage of proceeds on all-you-can-ride night if we promote it as a fundraiser for the choir.

We also sit just on the other side of a county line - the side that allows for the good fireworks on Independence Day.

I always knew there had to be more perks to living out here than just the schools when we moved all those years ago. But I digress.

So the highway is usually lined with these enormous tents filled with legal explosives of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Figured we could check into the possibility of setting up a fireworks tent for the choir this summer.

When I was a little girl, our school always had a huge carnival in the fall. It was so much fun and garnered the entire town's attention for a night of fun. Perhaps we could do a carnival themed around Halloween.

Then in December our town puts on Christmas in the Park with a chili cook-off, sleigh rides, and the firemen even sponsor the bonfire where you can roast smores. Maybe they'd let the choir do a caroling concert in the park for donations or maybe sponsor the chili cook-off. There's time to think of something, but that would be a great way to support the choir and the community at the same time.

Then there's a golf, baseball, or basketball tournament perhaps. The possibilities are virtually endless. One can only hope participation will be too.

My ideas may be too involved or cumbersome. They may not even be utilized. But I'm just thrilled to take part in the discussion.

At least while it lasts.

No comments: