Thursday, April 2, 2009

Musical Musings

Recently I was introduced to a fabulous singing group - Il Divo.

Three of the guys are classically trained opera singers while the third is a self-taught pop singer and songwriter. These four guys were brought together about five or six years ago to create a new group of REAL singers.

How is it that I'm just now hearing about them?

At the end of church service last Sunday (the sermon was on grace), the pastor had the tech crew close with a video of Il Divo singing Amazing Grace. Wish our new digital soundboard had already been installed.

Needless to say, it was amazing!

The beautiful emotion transformed into a powerful performance. And this was all only on video! Found myself with tears running down my cheeks when it was all said and done.

Since my son was away in Memphis that day, I pulled the video up on You Tube and showed it to him upon his return from the choir trip. He was completely blown away.

If I may be so bold, I told him that I could see him doing something like that someday. Since he was little he has loved music and has had a good ear to go with the good voice. When he went through the "change" in his vocal chords, he was so distraught and refused to be in choir after sixth grade, until he started high school and realized that his voice had stabilized.

His music teacher has him singing two solos for regionals. Many of his fellow choir members commented to me Tuesday night at the forensics tournament that my son is the best tenor in the entire choir.

That said alot to me.

So I'm going to watch carefully these next few years and see what he decides to do with the gift God has given him. There's several well-connected people in my church that could recommend good music programs for college if that's the direction he chooses.

In the meantime, we're just dying to get "The Promise", the most recent CD offering of Il Divo. Their tour schedule shows they'll be coming within a few hours of our city, but that will probably have to wait until finances/employment will allow. That's okay.

There's always the opportunity to watch and listen to Il Divo on You Tube.

No comments: