Monday, April 13, 2009

The Fork in the Career Path

If you had a chance to choose a different career path, would you do it?

As a matter of fact, I'm in that position right now. Only thing is if I hadn't gotten laid off I'd have never had the courage to consider any sort of career change.

Been in the finance industry for twenty-plus years. It's something I rather fell into, and like pretty much anything I've tried, I ended up being good at it. There's been some absolutely wonderful moments.

Without my job I'd have never had the opportunity to visit Alaska - twice! I've had the chance to go all across this country because of my job. I've also seen the best and the worst of the industry. But the thing I still love is working with people and seeing those individuals realize the great American dream.

Working in the industry has kept me close to the entrepreneurial spirit that keeps this country humming. Have to admit, however, that being so close to the entrepreneurial bug caused me to get bit a long time ago.

Close to ten years now I've wanted to open and operate my own business. The benefit is that I've had the experience to know and understand the pitfalls that lurk in the realm of small business ownership. God also bestowed upon me a very creative soul that isn't satisfied unless I'm stretching, reaching, and learning new things everyday.

So crazy as it may sound, I'm thinking about taking some night classes, getting my cosmetology certification, get some experience under me and then opening my own upscale salon and spa.

The little town we live in is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. There's also alot of money out here and virtually no salon like I envision, just little stop and chop shops (as I like to call them) and a small family-owned stylist salon that caters to a different crowd. This place is ripe for a real salon and spa to service the area.

I've already even thought of a name and have a general floorplan set-up. Of course it would be best for me to have certification and experience in the industry first, but this was one of my dreams when I was younger.

It's something I'd completely forgotten about until last week when my son and I drove by a cosmetology school. Told him about that dream too and he commented that I'd had alot of dreams when I was younger. I told him that I'd never fulfilled any of them. Had the chance once, but was too afraid to take the plunge.

That's water under the bridge, as they say.

But this is something that I could do. This is something that I know I'd be really good at, if given the opportunity. May sound crazy, but I just have to check into this a little deeper. If I take night classes then I can still take employment in finance when it's offered to me.

Once I have my certification, however, I'll have an opportunity to take a different fork in the road.

If I have the courage to pursue the career change.

No comments: