Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This Too Shall Pass

Over the last several weeks I've been asked by a few people how I'm holding up with the job situation, considering the finance industry has been pretty hard hit. To my close friends, I have my moments. But to the rest of the world it is important to me to not just put on a brave face but to really exude my usual upbeat demeanor.

After all, it isn't the end of the world...YET.

Barring my almost month-long bout with an ear infection, I've really tried to keep up on the exercise. After getting my son off to school, I sit down at the computer and work on a few job-related items. By 9:30 or 10:00 I'm on the treadmill and watching a rerun of TLC's "What Not To Wear". Then I'll pop in for a refreshing shower or swim in my big tub and try to pamper myself a tad. A quick sandwich and then it is off to run an errand.

I usually try to space my errands out so that I have a purpose for getting out of the house most every day. Run into town to the bank one day - get catfood the next. On a nice day I'll go for a quick walk in the sunshine to liven things up and energize the body. Sunshine is good for the soul.

Occasionally I'll meet a couple of friends for a bite out. Oh how I have appreciated their hospitality these last few months! There's been times it was the only thing keeping me sane.

So I also realized it was important to keep up with my friends. I try to talk to friends and family on the phone a few times a week (rotating, of course, not the same ones every time). This, I have found, has been very helpful to my sanity and in keeping the walls from closing in.

For the most part I've been able to keep a positive outlook without allowing my occasional fears to overwhelm. Yes, I'll have my moments with a close friend but that's what friends are for. We're there for each other.

And that's probably the most important thing that keeps me going.

Eventually the job that fits well for both sides will pan out and I'll look back on this time as a wonderful learning experience and a great time to have had opportunity to slow down and reconnect with those things that are most important.

Yes, this too shall pass.

No comments: