Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Career Assessment

Do you ever get the feeling that you are frightened into immobility?

I'm not quite there yet, but in relation to the job nothing - absolutely nothing - is happening. So this time is supposed to be a great opportunity to consider other options.

My only problem is paralysis of analysis.

There are all sorts of things I'm good at or would be good at given the opportunity. My problem is trying to figure out which way to go, how to reach my destination in a timely manner, and how to translate my various talents and gifts into a way to earn a living around here.

In talking to my pastor last week about the other matter, he asked me about how we were doing in relation to my being laid off. Told him that I was really trying to look at this whole thing as an opportunity to consider other paths. Then he asked me that fateful question - if I could do anything at all, what would I do?

Of course I know the answer to it - theatre and music. But finding a way to make a living in that industry around here is nigh impossible.

Originally when I was laid off, I figured I'd try my hand in some local theatre productions if I was still without employment by this time. Now that I find myself still without employment, I find my courage has waned.

I'm so far removed from the industry after twenty years in finance and my focus leaning toward my son for nearly seventeen years, that my connections to the majority of the industry have been lost. For years I haven't had the time to give consideration to it and now that I do have the time, I don't have the industry "in" anymore.

So now I need to figure out how to worm my way back in. I need a big confidence booster in that regard so that I can move into a new future, if indeed this is the direction in which I should move.

It all appears quite convoluted at times. So a good friend sent me a link to career assessment tools, which I muddled around in today.

No surprise there. Now the key is just finding a way to make it happen and earn a living at it.

Oh boy.

No comments: