Monday, April 6, 2009

DVD Disappointment

Last month I finished reading "Band of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose. Fascinating look at World War II from the direct recollection of the men of Easy Company.

I said at that time that I probably wouldn't watch the HBO series created from the book because Hollywood usually screws up history. However, my dear friend that loaned me the book also recommended the DVD series, so we watched the first disk tonight.

Already I'm quite disappointed. The book spent a great deal of time reviewing their training and the development of their incredible bond, their absolute disgust and downright hatred of Captain Sobel's ways (but that they still credited him with their being the most fit and prepared unit in the entire military). The DVD barely touched on their years of training in the first disk. It was such a hodge-podge that someone who hadn't read the book would have a hard time seeing any cohesiveness to the story, the commeraderie already present within months of beginning their training.

They dismissed so much good material that I'm not so sure I want to go on any further with the DVD's. I mean it would be understandable if it were a two hour movie, but we're talking a mini-series here.

About the only thing I really appreciate at this point is the fact that they started off with quick comments from several of the still living members of Easy Company. They also did a great job with casting the man who plays Dick Winters. (To be) Captain Winters was the heart and soul that held fast the men of Easy and he still garners enormous respect and gratitude from the men today.

In the meantime, I'll have to chew on this a bit to see if I have the stomach to continue on watching - in more ways than one.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Denise,
I got that without reading the book. Maybe not as deep as the book but they made me not like the guy. I will miss out if you don't finish them. If you enjoyed the real guys that will continue.

Denise said...

I guess that's my point. They've focus so heavily on the negative aspects without giving ANY consideration to the positive interactions during training. They only showed the negative feelings toward Sobel without countering it with their realization that because of Sobel they were fully prepared for war. Then the part where they demonstrated their preparation and abilities for Eisenhower and Churchill is completely absent. THAT made me mad because I was really looking forward to seeing that played out.