Friday, December 19, 2008

Movie Night Special

Tonight we watched an old movie for our movie night special.

Pirates of the Caribbean!

Once again I'm reminded of why I liked the franchise when it first came out. The first movie had something the sequels were completely lacking.

That fun-loving orneriness that so endeared me to the original.

The funny word play, the honorableness of Will Turner, the sword sparring, the adventure, the pirate you couldn't help but love in the end when he showed his true colors.

They ruined that with the second and third. They were darker. The "fun" felt contrived. The lighthearted orneriness was completely absent.

Did you ever also notice that Will Turner was virtually absent from the third one? They completely left behind the Will and Elizabeth component and threw it in at the end as an afterthought. Instead of the show being about the unlikely pairing of Will and Jack and Will and Elizabeth it became the Jack and Elizabeth farce.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but I really missed the spirit of the first adventure. Plus to me it would have made more sense for Jack to have been the one sailing the afterlife, not Will.

Yes, it's all subjective, but I prefer to watch the first one and remember what could have been instead of what the franchise became.

So I'll go on living the adventure through the first. Capt'n Jack, you were a hero then.

That's how I like to remember them all.

No comments: