Monday, December 29, 2008

The Lines of Life

You know, this Facebook stuff my sister got me started on isn't so bad. No, I don't have alot of time to mess with it. My blog is the most important thing to me.

But it's been fun having a chance to "talk" to people I don't normally have time to shoot the breeze with. It's been an interesting walk down memory lane, touching base with people I haven't seen or talked to in twenty/twenty-five years.

My how time flies!

This evening I pulled out and got to looking at old photo albums, remembering who I once was and who I've now become.

There are some things about myself that I miss - maybe it's just because of the responsibilities I've borne for so many years. But for the most part, I like who I've become. I love being a mom. I really enjoy several of my deep friendships that took alot of pain and time to find.

Just had lunch today with one of my best friends and talked about some things with her I hadn't thought about in years. It was wonderful to be able to reminisce about parts of my life that she knew nothing about and yet she's seen those components in me in other ways I've lived my life around her.

Another of my friends is going through a dark valley experience right now. I can relate, even though the circumstances are completely different. Life has allowed me to take what I've learned and just be there for her and reassure her that she will come through this. Most of the time, that's all we truly need is just that person to reassure us that life is still good out there somewhere even though we're in the bad at the moment.

That's what I like about who I've become. It isn't so much what I've done as much as living life through and beyond the circumstances. It's made me strong, though it is true that sometimes being strong is exhausting. If I hadn't lived my life and become who I am today, I wouldn't BE who I am today.

And I have to admit - even through the pain and trials I don't think I'd change a thing. Otherwise I may have just turned out to be nothing more than a wet blanket or an empty smile.

Whereas now my smile is full and genuine and full of life.

And surrounded by the lines of life. :-)

No comments: