Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ringing In The New Year

Ringing in the New Year soon.

I think I'll go to bed.

When I was younger we used to stay up as late as possible. My parents would invite alot of family to the house and we'd toast in the New Year with Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice.

The red grape, of course.

Then when I had a place of my own I'd invite a ton of friends and whoever would come, we'd end up having a smashing time playing cards and board games, singing along with my CD's (actually cassettes back then - didn't have a CD player yet), and then toast in the New Year with - of course - Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice.

Some traditions never change.

But the last few years I've not made it until the wee hours of the 1st of January. Sometimes we'd go over to a friend's house. Sometimes we'd have friends over. Generally we haven't stayed late and get home and to bed before the dropping of the ball in Times Square.

This year we find ourselves home and alone. I'm not at all upset by it, as we've had a wonderful time with family and friends already the last several days. Saturday we're going to my boss' house for a special celebration with all my co-workers and their families. It's always so nice and alot of fun.

So spending this evening alone, just the two of us watching movies and eating Christmas candy (my thighs will hate me in the morning), I'm perfectly at ease. It's been a busy season for the last several months, so it's quite comforting to be spending time at home with my son.

So whether you are gathering with family and/or friends, hosting a party of your own, or finding yourself alone tonight, may I wish each of you a wonderful, blessed, and prosperous New Year.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Denise, Terry and I went to a movie together as Abbie is still in Colorado, Travis went to the Flaming Lips concert and Riley went to a friends house for a New Years/Birthday party (her birthday is the 1st). So we got dressed up went to dinner and then went to see Valkyrie. It was very good but I felt like I was at a senior citizen center. :o)

Denise said...

Probably because they lived through that era. I've wanted to see the movie, even though it is heavily fictionalized. Still the basis for which it was written is true and terribly interesting.

I imagine in just another year or so I'll be completely by myself for New Year's or planning another big party. :-)