Saturday, January 10, 2009

Brewing and a Simmering

There's a story brewing in my mind.

It's been a long time since I wrote anything of significance. My brain is about to burst with a new story idea, but I would really like to go back and work on some of the other novels I've already started. Finished one about a year ago. I'd really like to get another one finished sometime this year.

However, there's a new story that has been simmering for the last several weeks. I've resisted putting it into the computer but it's about time to go ahead and at least get the story started.

Think I'll work on it at the annual retreat.

Yes, it's that time of year again - time for our annual writer's retreat!

Several years ago, our critique group began an annual tradition of going to a lovely campground down in Oklahoma and renting their cabins for the weekend. Each of us had a cabin all to ourselves so we could write and gather together to eat and share stories.

Last year seemed especially productive for me. I had several short story ideas I'd saved for just the occasion. Been thinking I'd save this new novel idea to start at the retreat, but now I'm not sure. Seems like it's been so long since I've had any real productive writing. The job switchover to a new company was enormously time consuming.

Now that I'm being released from that job, I'm excited to see what I might be able to come up with during my down time. Just hope my down time doesn't last too terribly long. Need a job to pay the bills until my writing begins to payoff.

But I'm struggling with the fact that the retreat will be an expense that I really shouldn't do while I'm without a steady paycheck. Plus my son's final Europe trip payment is coming due the first of February.

Feel in a bit of a quandary. I can't stand the idea of not going to the retreat. But I really shouldn't spend the money when I can't afford to. But then if I get a job now, I won't be able to go because the new job will rightfully take priority.

What to do - what to do.

You know what? Right now I'm not going to worry about it. I'm still going to plan on going, I think. I'll deal with a job if I get a job by then. If I don't get a job by then, I'll see how the financial situation is a little closer to that time. No need to worry about it just yet.

And my story? I don't think I'm going to wait on it, now that I think about it. My last week on the job is quickly approaching. I'll have some time on my hands then, so it will be a great opportunity to get a headstart on the story.

I can always work on it more at the retreat. Looking forward to the writing time. Hurry up Friday!

No comments: