Saturday, January 24, 2009

Unemployed and Staying Positive

This evening I've been a bum.

For several days throughout this past week, I've been really stressed about the job situation. The one thing that has excited me was helping a friend.

In order to try and relax a bit today, I decided to do just menial chores around the house, taking my time at them too, playing around on the computer (refused to go to any job search sites), reading, and finished watching a movie a little bit ago.

Gosh, it felt good to relax today.

Started the morning off by going to meet a friend for brunch. We ate pancakes, talked about her life, my job situation, and just had fun being all girlie-girl together. When I arrived back home, I decided that we'd just do a few things to spruce up the place, take care of laundry, and relax. Really needed it after a hard week.

You know, I actually feel bad for people who are off work for enormously extended periods. For me it's only been a week, and I'm about to go nuts. Can you imagine what I'd be doing if it was for a month, two, a year?

Which is why I took matters into my own hands. I was not going to sit around the house worrying all day. The best thing for me would be to do this volunteer time and spend less scoping out the job atmosphere. Staying busy and feeling like I'm making a difference in others' lives helps to keep the positive feelings flowing.

For anyone out there without a job right now - I'm thinking of you. Try and find something you enjoy doing for others while you are off and avoid the overwhelming job hunt for a few hours each day or a few days each week. It will help to stay positive when that great job interview comes along.

And remember - it will come along.

No comments: