Friday, January 23, 2009

To Do Or Not To Do

Tonight I'm feeling a little torn.

I've been talking to a friend of mine all week concerning coming into her shop and helping her with managing her employees, teaching them some soft-sell techniques, marketing skills, etc. We're planning to meet Monday to finalize things for me to get out of the house and work with her until more permanent employment comes my way.

The plan is basically that I would volunteer my time until she could pay me something for my work. She'd scratch my back a bit and I'd scratch hers. My goal is to help out a dear friend in difficult circumstances and also to help keep myself sharp.

This evening I received a call from my former boss. He and his wife were out to dinner with another couple and they brought up my current problems with trying to find additional lucrative employment. One of them made a call to someone they know and - BOOM - they want me to come in next week.

I should be overjoyed. I should be excited.

Actually I was more excited to try and help out my friend. Be an entrepreneur for a little while and get my feet wet.

The entrepreneurial bug bit me long ago. For the last ten years my life has been involved with helping small businesses, government relations, etc. I've learned so many things and had the opportunity for experiences I'd never before chanced.

It also made me excited about someday going into business for myself. For now, I just didn't have the guts to do it with the responsibilities of my son, my home, etc.

After being laid-off from the corporate world, I actually have been excited about helping a small business directly - utilizing so many of the skills I've learned throughout my life. Even though it's scary, what do I have to lose right now? Absolutely nothing!

So now I'm faced with the possibility that I may have to choose between going back into corporate America or the excitement and hard work necessary to see the backbone of America succeed.

Tough position at the moment. Well all I can do is see what they've got to offer. My friend could still use my help on the side or at least during the time I have left at home.

Then again, I could choose to take the risk, throw the known aside and head into the frightening yet exciting world of entrepreneurship.

Prayers would be appreciated right about now.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I hope good things come from your interview. Still praying things work out.

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

I will be praying for you.

Denise said...

Thanks all around! My reaction is to take the other position for now, but my instinct is wanting so much to take a risk and go with the unknown.