Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Melancholy Evening

Been a little melancholy this evening.

They started moving the furniture out of the office between 8:30 and 9:00 this morning. Don't know what they're doing with the computer and phone equipment since no one showed up for that.

Guess it isn't our problem now. Still we hate leaving things unfinished and undone. Rubs completely against our character. But they have a key when they're ready to finalize everything else.

Ten years we've been together. My son was in kindergarten when I started with the group. Now he's gone and become a sophomore in high school. One of the others came on a little later, but the core has been together so long, at times I don't know how we're going to survive without each other.

It's kinda nice working with people who feel more like family.

You know, I had a similar kind of working relationship with everyone in my previous job. Was there just shy of ten years at that time. When I left there, I thought I'd never be so lucky to find a family working type environment again.

I feel so blessed to have had it twice.

Guaranteed - I will be tarred and feathered if I don't send every one of them an invitation to my son's high school graduation in a few years.

Actually I'm already planning a post-separation dinner sometime next month. It will give us all a chance to catch up and find out what each person has been up to and who has secured jobs. Oh heck, like we need an excuse. I imagine we'll be talking to each other again next week.

One of us already has a new job, thank God. No, not me yet, but I'll be there soon (hopefully). But in between applications and job interviews, I'm going to be plugging away at sending query letters to agents about my book.

And hopefully I'll also find time to start my new one or finish up an old one.

Then again - I also have something interesting I'm chewing on too. Something totally dramatic. I'm going to really stretch out of my comfort zone, take a chance and try something new.

But we'll leave that for another post.

No comments: