Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Still A Banner Year

Over the weekend we had an opportunity to go out to my boss' country home and have one final celebration with the gang.

I say one final because our office is being shut down. Yep, I'm being laid off.

We all found out the week after Thanksgiving while I was in the throes of production week for the play. Didn't have time to really think about it then.

Thinking about it a bit this week. We're packing things up and preparing for our last day next week. Been with this group for ten years exactly December 20th, 2008.

Haven't been happy with the company that bought us early last year. It's been a real struggle to stay sane, and I've almost looked for other employment several times. But the fact that my boss is absolutely wonderful and I love working with each and every soul in the office made me do a double-take.

I stayed - if only for the fact that I was able to work with them. They were feeling the pain too so we commiserated together.

So in reality this layoff is a blessing in disguise. It frees us up to look elsewhere for a company that is at least in this century and has a can-do attitude.

Only problem is that with the Christmas and New Year's holidays there was nary a response to our letters and phone calls last month. The chances of us all staying together as a group are very slim to none. That saddens me.

However, I'm already finding some good opportunities if I go out on my own with another firm. There's hope out there! Plus we're finally starting to get some responses the last two days. Might be a little too late though.

Gotta pay the bills, you know.

So I find myself even thinking a bit outside the box. If money were no object, what would I do? I feel kinda freed in that thought process.

This may be a real opportunity to go in a whole new direction. I've gotten out a query letter I wrote two years ago on a book. Polished it up tonight.

I think I'll take a chance and start querying agents about my novel.

Hey - it couldn't hurt, all things considered. :-)

Yep, 2009 is still going to be a banner year.

Someone remind me of that in a couple of months.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I have no doubt that it'll be a banner year for you. I've read your book.

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Denise, I had no idea! Share with your sister. I could have been praying for you. I have no doubt you will come up with an excellent job. I haven't told you this before but I have been bragging about how well you manage money and have done so well for you and Tyler. I am very proud of you and proud to call you my baby sister. You go gettem girl!!!!

Denise said...

Sorry! I just assumed that Momma had told you all. Prayers are most definitely appreciated going forward though. :-)

Stop it! You're going to make me cry. Thanks for the accolades - it hasn't all come without sacrifices though but I'm just so thankful that we've made it this far. The future's looking bright, but I don't have to wear shades - YET!