Saturday, June 14, 2008

Back To The Ancient World

I've been pleasantly surprised tonight.

Fantasy is my favorite genre for writing and reading (good fantasy, that is). Other genres attract my interest from time-to-time, but fantasy always calls me back home. My recently completed novel is a thriller, a completely different turn for me. I've tried my hand at a wide variety of writing such as mystery, suspense, even romance - one genre I don't particularly know much about since it has never interested me. But fantasy is my first love.

My initial foray into novel writing was a very involved fantasy story - rather an epic really. I broke my proverbial teeth on that one. Started it January 4, 2002. It never got completed.

Since I finished my first novel, I've decided to go back to some of my other stories and finish some before letting exploration begin on other ideas. The only problem for me has been deciding which one.

A friend of mine from my critique group suggested I go back to Tumaline, the first fantasy realm I created. I remember the feel of the moss, the smell of the briny air, the stench of evil. Being near the ocean in San Diego actually made me think of this particular novel again too. What I would have given for a chance to walk along the beach at the Del and revisit Tumaline in my mind at that particular moment!

I guess I was surprised to think that someone else had truly enjoyed my own little creation. It was my first time involved with creative writing since high school. Playing with the words and worlds was fun for me, but I figured the Old English feel didn't really thrill anyone else. Guess I was wrong.

So it is back to Tumaline for now. I'm looking forward to exploring that ancient land once again.

2 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

I smelled the stench of evil in San Diego also. I think it's from the sea lions.

Denise said...

They've migrated up more in the San Francisco area. At least that's where they were last time I was up there. We didn't see a single sea creature the whole time we were there. Come to think of it, we didn't get to see a whole lot at all, but it was still so nice.