Friday, June 13, 2008

Humor - Not My Cup of Tea

There's a friend of mine who is such a great humor writer. I'm so jealous.

He's currently working on a detective novel, and the wry humor just leaps off of the pages. Kinda reaches up and pinches you on the pattootie when you least expect it. We critiqued his first two chapters this week. I was dying laughing throughout the entire thing. Even when we were critiquing last night, I was cracking up so bad at times I could hardly get out my comments. Suppose my laughter was the best compliment he could have asked for.

There was a humor contest he entered a couple of years ago with a story about the Mustang Ranch. He won first place hands down. Now before you go about misunderstanding the intent, you've got to understand that it's not what you think. Just imagine a couple of car guys, grease-monkeys if you will, hearing about a place called the Mustang Ranch. They're all set to buy themselves a classic Ford automobile. That's where it gets absolutely hilarious. And of course the story had me about to pee my pants when I read it (and it's clean too).

I wish I had the ability to write that kind of humor, but God chose not to grace me with it. When I try to write something funny it usually comes across as odd and makes people look at me as if they're not sure where I'm going with it. My friends understand, even though they too have a strong inclination to back away from me. My writing style has a tendency to be a bit intense, so humor just doesn't work well for me.

But he's just oozing with it. I guarantee you that someday soon I'll be writing a glowing review of his recently published novel. Now if he'll just finish the dadgum thing (I know you're reading this right now, so you better stop reading and get busy writing).

Then we can celebrate his success. I'll have to think of something humorous with which to toast him. That might present a problem. Maybe I could just spill my soda all over him instead. That might get a laugh.

Or else I'll get slapped.

2 comments:

Gary said...

What nice things you say behind my back. I'm STILL not going to be nice to you.

Denise said...

I've said it to your face too, so I never expected you to change. You're still good though!