Thursday, June 12, 2008

Riding Out The Storms

The storms tonight have been crazy!

We've had an outbreak of thunderstorms across Kansas this week. Tonight my area is getting pounded. Reports were out of a couple of tornados just to the south. Our critique group met tonight (minus our crazy storm-chaser dude - you know who you are), and just as we were wrapping things up an employee came rushing over to us to say that the tornado sirens were going off.

I'm so glad my son likes to go to the bookstore with me to hang out.

They gathered everyone in the alcove near the bathrooms, their official "storm shelter". I guess it's better than nothing. There were insane people driving around, pulling up to the store and trying to get in. The sympathetic employees ran and unlocked the doors several times to let in the soaked travelers.

For about forty-five minutes we received updates of the storm, the locations of the funnels, track directions, etc. Finally the warnings expired and they released us from the store into the pouring rain. What fun! Well my son and I tried to make it fun to see who could get to the car fastest without becoming drenched. I'm not sure either of us could claim a win.

Even though I've lived in Kansas all my life, I never take the warnings lightly. I do keep my head about me though and try to balance a healthy dose of respect of the storms with a bit of logic too. That's what any good Kansan should do this time of the year.

2 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon

Yup. I did it. I chased. I'm sad I missed you guys. Funny thing was, we went out to Whitewater, that storm failed. Came home to get Gary's stuff and the sirens went off again. Didn't see much out in Derby. Pics will be up this weekend.

Denise said...

That's incorrect grammer and you know it, Brian!

Okay, okay - we forgive you for ditching us. Can hardly wait to see the photos on your blog.