Monday, June 9, 2008

Ah Home

There's always something wonderful about coming home from a long trip.

Traveling is second nature to me. I've ambled about the good 'ol U.S. of A. extensively in my "young" years (just celebrated my 39th in San Diego), sometimes for pleasure but mostly for business. However, I've seen some incredible places in those business jaunts.

If it hadn't been for my job, I'd have never seen various places in Alaska, New York City, San Francisco, and many excursions in between. Living in the middle of the country does have its perks in that you can get virtually anywhere in a short period of time.

This time San Diego was a real treat. Traveling with our entire entourage from the office, we experienced just about the best places around for dinner. The Hotel del Coronado has the BEST lobster bisque, not to mention the views! The weather was in the sixties and seventies, zero percent humidity, and did I mention the views? I loved the sound of the waves crashing upon the shore, the smell of the brine in the air, the toot of the horns as the carriers, cruises, ships, fishing vessels, etc. left harbor. We worked hard during the day and ate well of an evening.

By Friday, I was so ready to leave.

It wasn't that I didn't enjoy being there. I did - every minute of it. But it wasn't home.

The final leg of our night flight felt much longer than the two hours we were up in the air. But when we landed, I breathed my first sigh of relief. Once again we were on good old Kansas soil. When I rounded the corner and saw my house, I breathed my second sigh of relief. And when I stepped into the house in the wee hours of the morning and heard the familiar cry of my kitties, I sighed deeply.

I was welcomed home. There's not a greater feeling in the entire world, no matter how amazing the views.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Nice visual of San Diego. Glad you had a nice trip. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Well written. Nice to hear your trip went well.