Monday, June 23, 2008

Not Again!!!

My son signed up to go to International Youth Convention this summer in San Antonio. They leave in three weeks. I just received their itinerary from the youth pastor. I should have known.

Once again they have to be there at FOUR O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

It hurts us. It burns us. Say it isn't so, please!

This early morning stuff is getting old fast, and he hasn't even started his sophomore year in high school yet. Once again I'm wishing for the day they create the caffeine IV drip so I can program it to come on while I'm still in bed. Hey, maybe they'll make it portable too so I can take it in the car and to work that day.

What is it about school and church trips at this age that they always like leaving in the early morning hours when even God may not be awake? This is inhuman. This is insane.

I remember well the days in which we did this kind of stuff too. For some reason it was actually fun then. Only problem now is that he can sleep on the bus while I have to go home and get ready for work and then drive all the way back across town again. Oh the inhumanity! Did my parents suffer so?

When I was thirteen, I got to go on my first IYC trip with my two older sisters. It was my first big trip without my parents tagging along. We stayed up all night packing and getting ready and then my oldest sister drove us all to the church to load up the bus. Pretty sure I crashed at that point once the bus left the parking lot. The ride both ways was rather a blur but I loved the time we spent in Florida. Complete blast!

Yeah, now I remember. My parents didn't have to run me around so much when I was growing up because I had my two older sisters to take me hither and yon. I know my son likes being an only child, but I sure can hardly wait until he's sixteen and doesn't have restrictions on where he can drive himself.

Until then, I have to continue to play the chauffeur. Maybe I can talk my boss into letting me take a vacation day to recover.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Boy, you have a better memory of that IYC than I do. I don't remember driving or anything. But I'm sure I did as that's what I did. Hope Tyler has a good time. We have camp for the younger 2 week after next.

Denise said...

It was such a big moment for me - soooo much fun. I'm hoping he has a good time too. He's actually going where I've never been. Hope the kids have a good time at camp!