Tuesday, July 22, 2008

DC Excursion




My mom and dad are in Washington D.C. this week. It makes me think of my trip there in 2003.

Once again, I was there to work at that time. Took my mom and my son with me for an educational adventure. They played while I worked my tail off in meetings all day. The last day I finally got to join them in the later afternoon when our conferences ended.

They'd gone to the Smithsonian that day and we eventually met up near the castle. Then we walked. And we walked. Did I mention we walked? Oh, but we saw some incredible sights! My feet were sore, but my heart was full.

Seeing all that history gave me such an appreciation for what our forefathers endured to make this country a nation - the most powerful nation on earth.

There's nothing like visiting the hallowed halls of the Capitol Building, sitting on the steps at the Supreme Court, then standing at the feet of Abraham Lincoln. It is all too much to take in in one mere afternoon. I'm just glad my family was able to enjoy more of it.

Too bad the National Archives were closed for some reason that day. Someday I hope to return and actually vacation there and see the documents that began our history.

Until that time, I'll just have to look upon the pictures we took in my brief moments around town.

No comments: