Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Raising the Rafters

Ah, Wednesdays are back!

We started back to choir again this evening. Typically our church shuts down for the month of July since so many people are out on vacation this time of the year. Classes are not in session, youth activities are out the window (there's camps though), and choir takes a well-deserved hiatus...more like a breather.

That's a singer's joke.

The hiatus starts out well and good. We're usually gone that first Sunday in July anyway because of Indy Day and vacation week. Second Sunday I'm enjoying the view from the pew. By the third Sunday I'm thinking the break was good, but I'm ready to sing again. We're not even going to talk about what I'm like by the fourth Sunday. Needless to say they have to hog-tie me to a pew to keep me from raiding the choir loft and singing solo.

It gets pretty ugly for a musician who can't make some music.

So the big opening practice for August is soooooo great (a bit early this year, but who's complaining?). The lungs are ready and willing and the vocal cords feel like they've got webbing growing on them, but by the second song we're belting out the choruses and raising the rafters.

I'm a soprano, can't you tell?

Most of my family has confirmed they're visiting for Thanksgiving this year. I'm hoping I can convince them to all hang around at least until after church on Sunday. It would make me so proud to take up a couple of pews and show off my entire clan. Then we can ALL belt it out together and become our own little family choir.

Just hope we don't scare the pastor away.

No comments: