Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Music Man

I've been doing some creative exploring this week while my son is gone.

My son is incredibly gifted. He has a penchant for art, writing, singing, and keeps a rhythm like nobody's business. When I was young, I wanted to play drums. For years we've talked about getting him into drum and guitar lessons (and piano which I already own, but he'd rather do drums right now). I've been checking out several great places this week.

Of course, I had to look into the biggest music and instrument supplier to all the schools in town. But none of it resonated with me. It felt rather cold and assembly-line'ish, if you get what I mean. More a cookie cutter than a cookie taster. What I did find was an independently owned shop with incredible instructors who absolutely love music. I think I've hit the jackpot.

Only problem is that this place is all the way over on the other side of town. I work all the way over on the other side of town and live all the way over on this side of town. It's a minimum of a thirty to forty minute drive one way. You know what? It doesn't bother me one bit (except the gas right now - ouch!).

My son is the consummate artist, that creative soul who kinda keeps to himself a bit. In order for the music lessons to truly reach him and keep him interested for the long term, he's going to need an instructor who is passionate about music, patient with questions, and will allow exploration at the soul level. That's where it will stick for him. This place seems to have that quality.

Now's the time to dish out the dough. Gosh, creativity hurts sometimes!

No comments: