Friday, July 25, 2008

Movie Night

It's storming outside once again. I'm sick of rain, but if we didn't get it I'd be sick of the heat and dry air too. Humanity - we're so fickle.

Getting onto subject now, we just had our Friday night pizza and a movie night. Since the weather was rather damp, we decided to stay in and watch a movie. Plus I had two DVD's I'd rented last weekend that I hadn't had a chance to watch. I hate wasting money.

We watched both. Well actually I watched both, the first being a little unsure of some of the content. My son watched the other with me. Both of these movies I'd wanted to see while in theatres but like so many other things, they were there today gone tomorrow.

Enough with the cliches.

So first off I watched "The Painted Veil". What a beautiful story of love and redemption. How I wished I'd taken time to go to the theatre to see the incredible scenery of interior China on the big screen.

A cholera epidemic in the interior brings a struggling British couple to a remote village to try to help them stem the tide. He's a doctor, rather a scientist studying infectious diseases with no clinical experience. He gets initiated terribly quick. Ew! She's a spoiled socialite who married him on a whim to get as far away from her mother as possible. The heartache. The pain. Can they come together after all the hurt they've caused each other? Will it be too late? Truly a beautiful portrait.

The second movie we watched TOGETHER was "The Illusionist". Why are these movies so easy to figure out? Oh well, I liked it anyway. That locket was so cool! I never thought of Edward Norton as handsome or engaging (he always plays dastardly men so well), but he did a wonderful job portraying his loss. I felt it right there. Very unique story line, even though "The Prestige" got all the publicity at the time they were in theatres. Figured that one out before the end too. My son hates it when I do that.

Anyway, great movie all around. A little creepy. A lot engaging. I love that guy who plays Prince Leopold (Count Adamar from "A Knight's Tale"), with his droopy eyelid and his irritating voice. You hate him right up until the last. Well, you can't blame a girl for hating a guy who hits her, can you?

Girls - we tend to be fickle too.

1 comment:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Don't poo poo the rain!!! It is in the 100's here and so dry even when you water the lawn it still looks awful.