Monday, July 7, 2008

Modern Teen Life

My son worked with my nephew over the weekend to set up his own personal information page. Not sure how to feel about it yet.

I'm a bit protective of him and just want to ensure that he isn't exposed to too many inappropriate things unnecessarily. He'll have plenty of that in college.

In order to set up this page he also needed an email address. I set up his sub-account under my email just a few moments ago.

Letting go is hard sometimes. Yes, it is important to let our kids stretch their wings, but it is also my responsibility as his parent to ensure he stays safe and doesn't go places he shouldn't.

So I've enabled all the parental controls humanly and technologically possible. Sometimes it is a good thing to be a control-freak.

My feeling is that if he proves himself responsible then I'll eventually ease up. Maybe when he's thirty. If he doesn't prove himself responsible then we'll just get rid of the page and the email. As a parent I demand obedience. I'm a stinker that way.

Hey, I take this parenting thing seriously. Someday I'll have to answer to God about how I did with what I was given. This is one area in which I plan to excel if at all possible.

Because no one else will be able to answer for me. :-)

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

He will have to look up his cousins.

Denise said...

Send him the links then. I know he'll enjoy checking it all out. He has to invite people onto his site, so send me their emails and he can send the invite.